This weekend my best friend, Jenny came to stay with me.

It rained all weekend.

Normally one might think of such a thing as a drag. None of the plans I had mapped out in my head as far as activities were concerned were an option with the weather the way it was.

But when you’re with someone you love so dearly, nothing outside of your time together is of any relevance.

I learned that this weekend.

We baked bread, we made jam, we listened to music and did laundry… and we talked and talked and talked and talked…

It was incredible….and what I realized is that all the plans I had made were wedges I had constructed to insert between her and I. The art of casual conversation and pure relating is something I haven’t made time for since grade school and I felt awkward with it.

After this rainy weekend I see how that is actually the stuff of life. The thoughts and ideas exchanged amongst friends over warm baked bread and hearty vegetable soup is the only thing that matters.

xo,

A

• engi

on June 8, 2013 at 10:12 am

hi , i love u so much and miss u 🙂

• luisana

on June 8, 2013 at 10:13 am

Always a friend talk, no matter what, is the best thing to do. Elevate your soul and brings you back ok earth. From a venezuelan fan of you thanx for sharing your experiences. Besos

• Susan Gaskin

on June 8, 2013 at 11:12 am

Hi Allison,

Sounds like you turned a potential lemon of a weekend into lemonade! Love your work – just saw your directing debut in the Smallville episode “Power” yesterday and thought it was great. I started a blog the other day with my best friend, and we too are trying to make a difference in the world. It’s found here: http://kathylempert.blogspot.ca

Best of luck to you!

Susan

• LanceN

on June 8, 2013 at 1:16 pm

Baking, nature gardening, singing, writing, jnessing; you have a beautiful life going.
    I find even silence with a friend can be wonderful too. My brother came to visit and
    we went kayaking down a National Scenic River. It was quiet, it was beautiful, it
    was fantastic. We didn’t need to talk much because we know each other so well.
    Be Well Allison,
    Lance

• 3tesla

on June 8, 2013 at 3:49 pm

“The greatest healing therapy is friendship and love.” Hubert H. Humphrey, Jr., 38th Vice President of the United States (1911-1978).

• JasonKeller

on June 8, 2013 at 5:23 pm

A cheerful heart is good medicine, but a crushed spirit dries up the bones. Proverbs 17:22

• Amy

on June 8, 2013 at 8:46 pm

Sometimes I just want to give you a hug. It’s like the simple things many of us 9-5ers take for granted, such as the joy of just hanging out with your friends and doing nothing, is something you missed out on along the way. But nice to see you’re experiencing it now.

• Renato . Rodrigues

on June 8, 2013 at 10:34 pm

i love you ?

on June 8, 2013 at 10:54 pm

Sounds awesome, Allison.
    We learn amazing things every day 🙂

• Zsolti

on June 9, 2013 at 4:42 am

Wow, it looks super delicious! You really make a difference! Congrats!

• nico

on June 10, 2013 at 6:38 am

Happy for you

it’s good to talk talk talk

^ ^

• BOUROUX

on June 14, 2013 at 1:11 am

Hi Allison. Very charming blog. Perhaps a rainy weekend, two freinds had an amazing connection. Talk, talk and talk of what happen in yours respective lifes. The smell of the bread, the presence of your inspiring best freind gave to you quality moments.
    Take care of you.Claude

• Imi

on June 14, 2013 at 3:10 pm

Hey Allison..this is my first time reading your posts…but i did read your blog…..i love this particular post of yours….mmnmmmm homebaked bread sounds goood and yeah i agree nothing matters when you are hanging out with your besties!!!!!!! you are an inspiration and a beautiful person…..i love smallville and chloe is one of my fav charactets…..anyway taje care abd hugs…im messaging all the way across the globe from Sri Lanka….xxoo