hitler

I find this article super disturbing.

There is something about violence perpetrated by women that is so much more viscerally wrong…it just doesn’t fit. But it’s so important to note that we’re all human above anything else – with the equal capacity to destroy.

xo,

a

• LanceN

on October 29, 2013 at 5:22 pm

Also disturbing are the young women who volunteered to be baby machines so the Reich could have good little brainwashed wunderkind. There are a number of disturbing things about that german period, including the fact that Hitler was voluntarily voted into office. That kind of thing can happen now. It is happening.

• LanceN

on October 29, 2013 at 5:34 pm

One of the philosophies that supported this behavior is one you should be familiar with Allison. A fundamental aspect of Smallville was the idea of the Ubermensche or Superman. In the Nietzche version Lex Luthor would be the Superman who is superior to others and therefore does not need to obey any standard of morality. They can steal from and kill those that are “lower” class beings. Clark is the opposite type who embodies the might for right concept of the Arthurian legends. The Nazis revered Nietzche and his superior class concepts. They killed because Hitler told them they were the a superior race. Such is the importance of philosophy in lives.

• Naomi

on October 30, 2013 at 3:40 am

Apparently you never saw the pilot. Clark ‘bumps’ in to Lana (her kryptonite necklace makes him queasy), and he drops his books he’s carrying “The Portable Nietzsche”.

Lana: Nietzsche? I didn’t know you have a dark side, Clark.

Clark: Doesn’t everyone?

Lana: So what are you: Man or Superman?

Clark: I haven’t figured it out yet.

In Season Two’s Suspect, Lionel is shown reading the same copy of Beyond Good and Evil. The line he reads says, “That which is done out of love always takes place beyond what is good and evil.”

Lex: Do you know what my father gave me for my tenth birthday? A copy of The Will to Power. “Behold the superman. Man is something to be overcome.” Season 1, Reaper

In Season Seven’s Descent, Clark saw an original copy of Friedrich Nietzsche’s Beyond Good and Evil in Lionel’s safe.

Carter Hall: You know, the philosopher Nietzsche believed we shouldn’t live for the future, but for the present. He thought that people who chased after some far-off future dream were really running away from their true destiny.
      Lois: Yeah, well, Nietzsche can call me a chicken if he wants, but he has never dated someone like Clark Kent.
      Carter Hall: It wouldn’t have mattered. To him, the true hero was the person who embraced the life that he or she was given and made it better. He called that person “√úbermensch”.
      Lois: A Superman.
      Carter Hall: Nietzsche believed we could all be one. In our own way.

Season 10, Shield

• LanceN

on October 30, 2013 at 6:17 am

Thanks for the reply. I think we both need to read the original Nietzsche. I did see the Smallville pilot and its Nietzsche reference. I suggest you read the wikipedia article on Ubermensch. Positive and negative interpretations of Superman have been considered. Smallville may use a positive one now but the original Jerry Siegel version was an evil Uber and so was the Nazi interpretation. It is interesting that the other Superman creater, Joe Shuster, switched to a positive Uber. I have read that translations from the German for Nietzsche are difficult so perhaps that causes the dual interpretations of the man.

• Rebecca

on October 30, 2013 at 9:04 am

The atrocities that humanity is capable of should surprise me, it should surprise all of us, but it doesn’t. Somehow we assume that women aren’t capable of such unspeakable things. They’re to be nurturers and caregivers. Yet even women, in a fight for, perhaps, their own survival, can commit murder or conspire with someone else to commit it. What we would do in an effort to survive is a question we must ourselves.

on November 28, 2013 at 7:00 am

I wish I was surprised by this.