HEPBURN

I have started a practice of watching at least 5 minutes of my heroes every morning. It’s a really cool thing. One of my greatest heroes is my teacher and friend Keith Raniere and he once told me to spend time every morning thinking about the way I want to be that day. He spoke about predetermining my character so I can live with purpose, intention and deliberation. I love this.

So watching my heroes helps me refine this vision. I build my ideal woman of strength and dignity: Katherine Hepburn, Meryl Streep, Oprah, Audrey Hepburn, Cate Blanchet, Aung San Suu Kyi, Nandita Das, Mariane Pearl, Francis McDormott, Eleanor Roosevelt… just to name a few… Women of strength, focus and integrity, women who don’t apologize for what they believe in, and women who know what is right and good and true in them. I aim to carry myself through out my days with the same intention.

I asked my friend why I get so nervous when I speak to people I perceive as being strong. He told me if I knew who I was when I was talking to who I think they are, I wouldn’t worry so much about finding myself in their approval. Profound? I think so.

So what do I like in the heroes I collect? It is an ever growing science experiment with the world as my lab and my life as the result. The more I see the clearer I become and the ambition is compounded.

Check out the video I watched today. Katherine Hepburn… a classic.

• jim1965

on July 4, 2014 at 8:22 am

• Robin

on July 4, 2014 at 7:15 pm

I think we have always needed heroes & villains whether fictional, historical or contemporary in guiding our everyday actions in at the very least aiming to emulate what they might do in any given situation in becoming a better person in our own right.

Are there such a thing as heroes or villains? Or are there merely people who act at certain times in a way which we perceive as heroic or villainess, & both terms make up characteristics which form human behaviour.

I think when it comes to meeting real World people whom we admire or hold in high esteem, because of our own preconceived judgement we automatically place that person in a higher standing be it a conscious or unconscious decision.

• DANY MALLAH

on July 4, 2014 at 8:24 pm

Truly breathtaking Allison, keep it coming.

• Andrey

on July 5, 2014 at 10:18 am

It’s tight decision to practice of watching of our heroes. And You help me to be a better person)

• Jon

on July 5, 2014 at 2:38 pm

Nice Allison. It’s good to have heroes. Mine are John Hughes, Roald Dahl, Robert Zemeckis, Enid Blyton and many others. Those who’s stories have stood the test of time.

More than anything though, I find I gravitate towards anyone who loves humanity without strings attached.

I’m moved by love, inspired by it, and write about it.

I try to take what I learn from the heart of others, living life and infuse it into my writing.

The ups and downs of love, the gritty stuff, and the raw and try to create something that is beautiful.

Last year I published a novel that isn’t your typical book that a guy would write.

It’s a love story.

I admit, it was a challenge to publish it. A part of me was saying, guys don’t write this stuff lol.

I know crazy.

But what can I say? I love the paradox of love. How simple and complex it can all be at once.

I feel drawn to that genre more. Writing gritty love stories, and maybe in time a Rom/Com.

I think even when we think everything has been said about love. There is still more.

I’ve written two more novels that will be published later this year, and I’m about to embark on my fifth. This again will be a love story.

• beautyistheworld

on July 5, 2014 at 6:26 pm

If you think about it our greatest heroes are the ones who inspire us to make the choices we do. Some of our greatest heroes are the people who stood by us through thick and thin.
    One of my heroes once said just because you’ve been shot down from what you want to do doesn’t mean you should give up on it!
    We should embrace the fact that every choice we have made so far has got us to where we are, we haven’t failed at life, we are still finding ourselves, well I am anyway!
    Our heroes don’t need to wear capes or a suit they just have to be there to inspire us!
    That’s just my opinion though! 😀

• Pneozoetheos Kings

on July 6, 2014 at 3:08 am

This was cool to see and read! Always Inspiring! Total Mentor Quality!

• Gdubleyoo

on July 6, 2014 at 2:39 pm

We are all born ordinary people although some go on to
    achieve extraordinary things and become our heroes.
    But you can’t simply cloak yourself in their characteristics
    or predetermine your life vicariously through theirs and believe that your life
    will have similar purpose.
    Instead, shed this chameleon skin and step out into the
    nakedness and challenge of the ordinary and seek to achieve your own
    extraordinary. It may be that you never attain the extraordinary, but you will find
    your own purpose, by yourself and for yourself.

• Afton Barger

on July 6, 2014 at 3:06 pm

Gerard Way once said, “Heroes are ordinary people who make themselves extraordinary.” I think he was right. In spite of the darkness in the world, an ordinary person can rise to extraordinary means and overcome the obstacle without having to sacrifice who they are or what they believe in. A true hero is never aware of being a hero at all. Saving the day for yourself or someone else doesn’t require a red cape; although, I would probably wear one any way.

• Col

on July 6, 2014 at 9:26 pm

Great idea. How about Catherine Hepburn she was one classy lady.

• zspectre

on July 10, 2014 at 1:18 pm

Nice idea! thank you for sharing this! My hero is Jesus! he the best expression of love! 🙂

• Gabriel

on July 15, 2014 at 7:27 am

that was a good idea.when i think about this i see that my hero is my father becouse he is ready to sacrifice every thing that he want for me and my family.

on July 17, 2014 at 2:12 am

Unfortunately the video is not available to me but I agree with what you wrote and I feel now is a good time to adopt some of those ideas. Thanks for passing them on!
    Both you and a character you once portrayed are still heroes to me 🙂
    I think you would do very well with a published book/novel. Just a thought, though…