I used to love my imagination. I used to spend hours and hours and hours in the backyard pretending a stick was a magic wand. I used to dream. I had idea after idea bursting out of my mouth with fervor and enthusiasm that would not be suppressed. I was a dreamer… I think that’s why I loved acting so much. Then I got older and I learned about “the rules”. I learned to fall in line, not ask too many questions and stop pushing the envelope.

I had no idea the my attempt to be a “good girl” was killing innovation. I learned my magic wand was better used for kindling in a fire and I incinerated it. I sought out normalcy.

But then I met a couple of dreamers.

At first they frustrated me. I was uncomfortable with their constant desire to change plans and re-evaluate. They were always coming up with something new and it was just so inconvenient.

Then it scared me. I didn’t know what to expect with all these new plans. I couldn’t predict the outcome of anything!

But then….it clicked. Like when the broken chain on your bike catches the tire… it became invigorating. Instead of gripping my familiar plans with white knuckles, I started to loosen… and what I found was a sense of freedom I cannot describe.

My life has opened up. I am doing things I never thought possible. Working with a crack team of brilliant journalists and analyzers on a media start up company that will transform the news industry (ethicalmedia.org), building and teaching an unbelievable acting curriculum that uses the craft I am most passionate to teach empathy, compassion and love. (stay tuned for this website 🙂 ), and helping to lead a movement for women that will change the way human beings relate with one another forever (www.jness.com).

Yes, I am still acting…and I always will…I love it…but with this new found permission to imagine I am seeing myself as so much more. And if this is possible for me? Imagine….what is possible for the world.

xo,
a

• Gdubleyoo

on November 10, 2014 at 2:46 pm

You don’t stop playing with your toys when you get old, you get old when you stop playing with your toys.

• Andy Wozniak

on November 10, 2014 at 4:58 pm

I’m glad you haven’t given up acting. I’m glad your doing something that makes you happy.

• Charles Silva

on November 10, 2014 at 4:59 pm

The power of imagination is something indescribable. Very good video.

• Leonardo Dias

on November 10, 2014 at 5:24 pm

Hey Al, I growed up seeing you and Tom acting. I want to say to you, has a few years, you guys was my super heros, every child needs her super heros and you guys was mine. You gave me strength to imagine, dream with a future that i was capable to do anything and today I think that I’m, you gave me force to imagine. I loved the video and your blog, it’s nice know you out the cameras, being yourself. Congratulations and thank you again.

• jbrande55

on November 10, 2014 at 5:24 pm

You were the best on “Wilfred” , the show was diminished without you . Your last appearance was only one short scene , but it was great .

• katalina leighfield

on November 10, 2014 at 5:42 pm

Our imagination is the connection to our inner child. The only limit to our imagination is our mind. Without courage to ‘think outside the box’ we are incapable of having creativity in our life. We can’t begin to contemplate how others use their imagination but we know that’s how they will live, thinking, imagining and creating! =D

• LanceN

on November 10, 2014 at 5:59 pm

The open mind is the only one worth having. You can, sadly, find closed minds everywhere. I found them in engineering early on and it really depressed me. It can be lonely being a free thinker. I am glad you found like minds to work and grow with you. Keep being you and being free Allison.- Lance

• SpiritandSoulareOne

on November 10, 2014 at 7:41 pm

🙂

• Salgado

on November 10, 2014 at 11:06 pm

Allison, you are a beautiful writer and actress. You are successful and an inspiration. Without imagination we lack innovation. With imagination, ideas take root and bloom into innovation. Thank you for sharing.

Are you married?

• Micah

on November 13, 2014 at 9:15 am

I went to the site. Assuming the redirect url is basically the same….. As a former radio news director who has given up on media both as a full time profession and a pass time as an observer due to the lies, deceit and carelessness that’s out there for the truth, i can honestly say i appreciate what you are doing. If only love were considered first when a reporter does a story. Then these things would not be as issue. News is about nothing more than advertisers and ratings. It’s a terrible system. If it was about care for our fellow man, the job to “inform” would be just that. News is nothing but gossip these days. They might as well be known as the civilian paparazzi.

I have a degree in broadcast journalism, i don’t expect to ever use it again, but maybe you can put a spark back in that fire.

• Robin

on November 16, 2014 at 9:10 am

Hi Allison and fellow fans,

New ideas and innovation is always scary with nay Sayers and traditionists who oppose change.

Any new idea is a step into the unknown just by asking “what if?”it might work, it might not but isn’t it all the more exciting trying new things, at worst you take a step back and do something you know with refreshed enthusiasm!

I wish you the very best of luck in all your new endeavours Allison including Jness & ethical media, I hope you also continue to write ( both creatively and blog), direct & act in various mediums…

Thanks for sharing your adventures and encouraging each of us.

Robin
    X

• Adam308

on November 26, 2014 at 1:43 pm

All I hope for you is happiness in life and to keep your creative mind cause you are an amazing woman

• Robert P. Irwin

on December 1, 2014 at 1:58 am

I just discovered this site and am enthralled with your ability to be honest. It’s a brave way of writing and I appreciate you.

• Guest

on December 13, 2014 at 7:09 pm

Eu vou te contar que você não me conhece,

E eu tenho que gritar
    isso porque você está surda e não

Me ouve.

A sedução me
    escraviza a você

Ao fim de tudo você
    permanece comigo mas preso ao que

Eu criei

E não a mim.

E quanto mais falo
    sobre a verdade inteira um abismo

Maior nos separa.

Eu não tenho um
    nome, você tem.

Eu sou um rosto na
    multidão e você e o centro das

Atenções.

Mas a mentira da
    aparencia do que eu sou,

E a mentira da
    aparencia do que você é.

Porque você,

você não e o seu
    nome,

E eu não sou ninguém.

O jogo perigoso que
    eu pratico aqui,

Ele busca chegar ao
    limite possível de aproximação,

Através da
    aceitação da distância e do reconhecimento

Dela.

• Álvaro Oliveira

on December 13, 2014 at 7:14 pm

Eu vou te contar que você não me conhece,
    E eu tenho que gritar isso porque você está surda e não me ouve.
    A sedução me escraviza a você

Ao fim de tudo você permanece comigo mas preso ao que eu criei
    E não a mim.
    E quanto mais falo
    sobre a verdade inteira um abismo maior nos separa.
    Eu não tenho um nome, você tem.
    Eu sou um rosto na multidão e você e o centro das Atenções.
    Mas a mentira da aparencia do que eu sou,
    E a mentira da aparencia do que você é.
    Porque você,você não e o seu
    nome,
    E eu não sou ninguém.
    O jogo perigoso que
    eu pratico aqui, Ele busca chegar ao
    limite possível de aproximação,

Através da aceitação da distância e do reconhecimento Dela.

• Galactic Shawn

on January 11, 2015 at 7:47 am

This helped.

• Frank

on January 14, 2015 at 6:12 pm

The “wisdom” of the world is in perfect accordance with its own rules and its way of life.

on January 15, 2015 at 8:59 am

Yes. That’s one of the world’s problems.

• Richard Saulnier

on January 26, 2015 at 2:41 pm

Just checking in to see how things are. Glad to see you are still acting, along with expanding yourself. Always enjoyed the humor and emotion you displayed. Be well and happy.

• Kat Stevens

on February 3, 2015 at 12:55 pm

The rules… the barriers to self exploration and expression. Not such a fan of the ‘RULES’.
    Love the sense you’re loving your passions. Go AMac!

• Damien

on February 12, 2015 at 6:18 am

Have u ever been to alaska?

• Julia

on February 17, 2015 at 4:04 pm

Gosto muito do modo que ajuda as pessoas e que sonha,com muita força de vontade para realizar seus sonhos.Você é minha inspiração e vendo o modo como luta pra conseguir as coisas faz com que muitas pessoas não desistam como eu .Fazendo vários sonharem novamente e lutando para conseguirem,é meio difícil explicar varias coisas mais lendo tudo que você escreve da pra ver que ainda há esperança não só para alguns mais sim para todos!!! <3

• dlo

on February 27, 2015 at 9:41 pm

Do inspirational movies, we want to see you in theatres just never with Justin Timberlake or jlo. You’re better than that but with Robert deniro, or Gerard butler, or Schwarzenegger, susan Sarandon, good actors! Maybe elle fanning, please?!

• Mashawn Ford

on March 1, 2015 at 11:10 pm

Wow you poem was very interesting. I also write poetry. I got this feeling of inspiration after my friend said she was going to pray for an hour then it just hit me like magic and ever since that day I can’t help but say a poem in my head. There mainly rhymes but some are not and some are mix together. Their mainly about got and our brother Jesus Christ. But there’s one on how’ I feel about life and how much I hate my job. I’ve been trying to get another but it’s too difficult and I hate being around people.

• Jeferson

on March 14, 2015 at 12:09 am

Brazil!

Love You!

• luis gravini

on March 16, 2015 at 11:50 am

I like it!!!

• H.M

on March 25, 2015 at 5:48 pm

It’s not a coincidence that I ended up reading your entries on this website.. Your acting skills could only hide so much who you really are, and it always showed. It’s your personality that attracted me before your talent… Not a coincidence, since it feels like reading my own words, except I haven’t been able to step up from my static fear yet. I have been in the music business since I was a kid, I had my success and decided to step aside for the same reasons you have. Hopefully I will have the courage to “imagine” soon, and have a taste of inner freedom and serenity… I really wish you all the best, you are on the right path!

• Camila Dan

on March 29, 2015 at 10:38 pm

You’re amazing girl

• Pablo J. Vera

on April 4, 2015 at 11:20 am

Excelent ethicalmedia web site!!!!

• Steve Hanson

on May 4, 2015 at 3:48 am

angels got to find a way to fly one way or another

• Malik Tahir Qamar

on June 4, 2015 at 2:05 am

U r Amazing….. I Love your Smile “Chole” ….

• Sean

on June 6, 2015 at 9:13 am

I love imagination. I make a living of cultivating creativity of fostering that ember in the minds of our young. Teaching is rewarding. Best of wishes in your endeavors. If you are unfamilure with the legend of the koi you might enjoy it.

• Wyneg S. Rhuntar

on July 9, 2015 at 2:40 pm

After Smallville I lost the clue of you, It’s heartwarming to know that you’re fine and you’re doing what you want to. Greetings from a fan of you 😉 Take care, kisses!

• Ian Jackson

on August 18, 2015 at 8:01 pm

Hello. Odd that I stumbled upon this post. I’m a Journalist from the UK and Have a PhD in political Science. Ethical Media.org sounds intriguing. I’d like to know how to contribute.

• toby helm

on October 13, 2015 at 7:22 pm

Ideas, thoughts and the imagination that inspire them are always something feared by human nature since we abhor change of any kind. Those who see themselves as being in charge and in power definitely hate change since it could mean they are no longer relevant or have any power or control of what happens. We all have to live by faith; that we will wake up each day, the Sun will rise in the east and set in the west, that we have what need to; survive, live and thrive, knowing that many have all that and still want more while others don’t even have two out of those three. When all the world tells us that everything is a certain way and that if we are not going with the flow, we are doing it wrong. I will stand with Columbus, Galileo, and all those who said, ‘What if…” and changed the world as they knew it. I say; there is no box. Stay true to who you are and what you believe. You may just end up changing the world, and by faith, it will be for the better.

• Heiko MartensScholz

on January 21, 2016 at 6:21 pm

Einstein said imagination is far more important than knowledge. At the age of 12 I read The never ending story, a magic book about the importance of your imagination. What the movie never could deliver, the book did: It would drag YOU into the story, make you become part of it and join the protagonists Bastian and Atreju to save the world with their imagination. Never ever give up on your imagination. Your projects are awesome 😉 My newest imagination I just turned into a movement: 100 Global Green Cities to save our future. Website will follow soon 😉

• Bill Bilodeau

on March 14, 2016 at 12:50 am

“The maturity of man—that means, to have reacquired the seriousness that one had as a child at play”
    – Nietzsche

• james ross

on March 15, 2016 at 10:19 pm

You are a shining star! Your smile puts people at ease. I still build LEGOS and i’m in my late thirties.
    never stop dreaming!